Thursday 24 March 2016

Ten Silly Things I Believed when Growing Up

I don't know how many believed this too but then, I still believed some funny as it seems. Although, I felt it was to curtail some vices while we grow but
then it got me real bad.

1. When you lose a tooth, you throw it over the roof and run around the house seven times but then you mustn't let any lizard see your missing tooth or it would never grow again.
Haba!  It sounds so much like ritual to me now. Imagine seven times the number of times I removed teeth, what an exercise.

2. If you drink coconut water or eat the eyes of a fish, you would forever be dull in school.
Oh jeez. These adults know what's so sweet that if we had tasted it then, I bet I would always go for it and  it would never be enough for them.


3. When you cut your nails, you sweep and clean up the place thoroughly because if anyone steps on it, the person would just keep getting angry over nothing.
I took this seriously so I don't be the victim myself

4. As kids, we must not eat kidney or liver for it leads to incurable urge to steal. You don't also eat from the food that's still on the cooker or you would end up a thief.

5. If you eat mango and garri, you will DIE.
Although, I still believe this though and still don't have the mind to try it. I don't wanna die.


6.  As a girl, when you start seeing your monthly period,  you don't let any boy touch you.
Oh God! Mother should have elaborated on the touch cos I did ran away from boys but unfortunately, one of my best friend then, a boy actually touched me while taking a pen from me and jeez, 3 months I didn't see my period. It's so funny how I thought I could be pregnant.

7.  If you someone crosses your leg, you would birth to a child that looks exactly like the "crosser".
Na wa!  Since when did gene become air-borne disease?


8.  If you beat a boy with broom, his penis will disappear.
Oh boy! African magic show. Oya make una line up wey dey disturb. The boys were so humble then, anytime I wielded a broom.

9.  When you wear your clothes inside out unintentionally money is coming. As well as when your palm itches you, money is coming. The higher the currency for itching, the higher the money.
So, time to start scratching with daddy's atm.

10. Now my best. Oh my God! This last one was the height of it. If you offend someone older than you, that would beat you there was a way to make that person forget. You wrap 3 seeds of beans in a leaf or put broken 7 pieces of broom at the door step and when he passes the door, he would forget.

N.B. main door and bedroom door is the target for daddy and additional kitchen door for mummy.
But they never did forget, I would received my thrashing begging the beans to work.
Then, when I told my friends it doesn't work, they were like. Oh c'mon,  you should have put some beans under your armpit too so when he flogs once, you will collapse.


Did you do any of these or you did more? Feel free to share yours.

1 comment:

  1. When the teacher flogs yu and yu say odeshi, you won't feel the pain.. I pray oh.

    ReplyDelete